Me and my man

Me and my man

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Slowing down

Yesterday was family pictures.  Always stressful.   I spent the whole day messing with clothes.  I did laundry, tried on clothes, did more laundry, looked for clothes that went together, looked for clothes  I couldn't find, did laundry some more and battled with Hailey over outfits.  We had a new photographer this year named Elena and she was legit.  She sent me info on "stylizing" our clothes for the "shoot".  I hadn't even considered that which is why I spent the whole day messing with clothes.  Geesh what a headache.  But by 3:00 I had 7 outfits that looked relatively good together and then it was time to get everyone cleaned up and out the door to the Riparian Preserve.  The Riparian is a nature preserve close to our house and it is lovely - even in the winter.

We met the photographer and took a million pictures.  First the family, then the kids together, then separate, then Hailey wanted one with the girls and Ivy wanted one with Dalton and the twins needed one together and then James & I and then more family photos.  And don't forget the dog - yes I was crazy enough to bring the dog who was understandably only interested in chasing the millions of rabbits at the preserve.  That added a bit of stress to say the least.  I was so afraid she'd get off her leash and never come back (which was a real possibility) that I put 2 leashes on her...  The boys kept running off to throw rocks in the pond and wrestle each other.  James kept wandering off to play a game on his phone.  The photographer kept calling for people who were nowhere around and the dog kept trying to bolt into the underbrush.  Somewhere during the shoot or perhaps before, I lost my sense of humor and went quietly to my happy place so I could handle the mass chaos around me.  My happy place on the outside looks really calm but inside it takes pretty much all my energy to like anyone around me.  And finally it was over.  I was sweating and the kids professed that to have been, "So much fun!".  Alternate universes are real.

Then it was off to dinner.  Mod pizza where everyone is happy.  Gluten free for those who need and all the amazing toppings you want.   Balsamic fig glaze and arugula for mom and massive amounts of Buffalo hot sauce for the twins.  Perfect.  It really is the Johnson Family Happy Place.  Ivy & Dalton charmed the cashier into offering them a free bottle of soda - happy kids.  It was peace at last.

Mom called me at Mod and asked if we wanted to come over after for FHE and watch a video of the Dutton family Variety show that they had just seen (they bought the DVD).  That was wonderful and a calming way to end the day.  We all love Nana & Bumpa's house.

Off to home at 8:30 to get the little ones in bed - quick!   So I could collapse into oblivion in my bed.  "Dalton - brush your teeth and hop into bed - quick!", I say.  Quick quick quick.  I want some time to myself.  Hurry.  Huryy.  Two minutes later (which is how long you should brush...), Dalton shows up at my feet with unbrushed teeth, a huge blanket and his homework (which hadn't been done).  "Mom, I have an idea!  How about we go in the backyard and look at the stars and cuddle and if there is enough light from the moon, I'll do my homework by moonlight!"   I think, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  The cold backyard is... cold and damp and dark and not my bed."  But, how could I resist that?  So we went to the backyard and layed out our blanket and covered up  with another blanket - to be joined by the now exhausted dog.  We talked and giggled and snuggled and told each other how much we loved each other and did homework by the amazing light of a very full moon.  Dalton saw a shooting star and Jetta was cozily tucked in between us.  It was beautiful and magical and slow.  At that moment, I didn't want any more of the day to go by quickly but I wanted to freeze that moment and bottle it.   Hold it and keep it forever.

I learn a lot from my kids.  Tonight my littlest taught me the beauty of slowing down and taking a minute to enjoy the moment.  I love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment