Me and my man

Me and my man

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Waves


Waves wash in and waves wash out.  That is what a friend named Amy taught in her RS lesson the other night.  And emotions are just like waves she said.  The average wave lasts 5-10 seconds and then it's gone.  I've thought a lot about that since she said it.  But I find myself and my family focusing on the first few seconds of the emotion and getting stuck.  Not letting the wave wash back out.  Anger, frustration, elation, pride, jealousy, you name it and it is probably bad to stick there in the feeling too long.  Emotions, like waves are meant to I think are meant move us - literally to transport us from one spot to another.  To motivate us - change us and move us forward.  But we get stuck.  Stuck in the wave of anger so that we are unable to feel the smaller waves of love or forgiveness that follow.   Stuck in the wave of pride so we can't feel the waves of empathy or kindness that are lapping against us as well.

So that is my goal this month.  It is spring and my goal is to spring back from feeling emotions quicker.   Feel irritation or panic or anger or whatever - I am taking a full 10 seconds to experience the feeling then walk away from it.  It's empowering.  Power over feelings is strength.

Some emotions I have decided to experience a little longer - the emotions based in love.  Like adoration of a sweet child or contentment that I have a good man who loves me.  Those I will choose to bask in and perhaps even record but to the rest, hello and goodbye.  On to the rest of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment